Friday, August 19, 2005

My Mom got her apartment

My Mom has got her own apartment. It is just 5 minutes (driving) from my house.
I had put her name in Low-income listing apartments less than 2 years a go. Here in US there are low-income apartments almost everywhere in the city even in the best neighborhoods but their waiting list is very long because they are a lot cheaper than regular apartments.
We did not have any hope that my Mom can get one soon but she told me about two weeks ago to call the apartment leasing center and just double check with them, it was amazing that they had a kind of emergency notice from a tenant and they wanted some one to move in right a way. It was like a miracle.
She is so happy and excited, she already has got every thing she needs and has moved stuff there. I am happy for her too. She needs to be independent and living with us for long could create some conflicts between her and my husband, although they get a long well but still little things come up and I would be the person in the middle!! You know what I am talking about!

In less than 4 months my Mother-I-law will be back again, god knows what would be the story this time!!
I really don’t know how people could live together before, about 30 years a go most of families in Iran would live with their in-laws in the same house, still in small towns and villages, people do that. I am sure they had lots of conflicts or still have, but may be they did not have any other choice! The thing is in today life it is almost impossible to have extra people living with you for long time even if they are your own parents. Every body needs privacy, when you work from morning until late afternoon you cannot go home and see some one there that may be you don’t feel like walk in front of her/him with your shorts, bath towels, etc…
These family issues are almost resolved and cleared in west but we are still working on them in our own culture! The best way to resolve these type of issues is to try to imagine ourselves as the other person and try to understand how we would feel if we were in stead of them! It’s hard for most of people to do that isn’t it?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ocean jan
I think mother is the best gift of God. I will pray for u and ur mother to have a life full of happiness. And I think (no I’m sure) u r kind and sweet heart and ur mother-in-low knows it and she will not make any problem for u. I hope
Take care
Bye

11:35 PM

 
Blogger Jan said...

Hi ocean, I still don't understand, does your mother live permanently in the US nowadays?
In fact this is a good solution for you and for your husband it can work out possitively and your son will see grandma (very) often.
Ocean take care, I'll hear from you.

1:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home