Saturday, December 04, 2004

Anniversary of...

Last Sunday was the anniversary of my migration to US. I remember when I moved to US in November 1998 and I was not even sure that it was the best decision; I remember that my Mom tried her best to stop me. I had a good job in Iran and lots of friends who have mostly left Iran in last 6 years. I had visited US once in 1996 and that time was just for vacation, although my brother insisted that I should stay but I had just graduated from university and I was willing to work for my own country! Plus I was so attached to my Mom. After 2 years working in my own country and have some not pleasant experiences
In my social life and personal life I came to conclusion that I needed to live more freely, I needed to have all human rights that are very simple but was kept away from me. My brother on the other hand was encouraging me to move to US and I made my final decision although my heart was still not that happy with my decision. It is very hard to move, moving from your own root, memories and … but I knew I should take my chance I thought to myself if I DON’T DO IT NOW MAY BE I REGRET IT WHEN I AM 40 YEARS OLD AND THAT WOULD BE TOO LATE!

Any way I was lucky to obtain the visa and I moved here, I had such a hard time in first year, living with my brother and his family was more difficult than I had thought plus not being permanent resident made it very hard to find job. I remember that almost every week I decided to go back to Iran and when I wrote email to my friends in Iran and nag about my situation they all told me you are crazy if you come back and I would change my mind again, this situation continued until I could find a company who sponsored me for work and I met my husband every thing changed for me so fast I got my own apartment and shortly after got engaged!! It is six years now and my life has changed a lot. I used to miss Iran a lot in the beginning, I still do but day by day I got more used to my life here I got more used to my freedom. I started appreciating all human rights that this society was offering to me. I started enjoying my equal opportunities at work. I learned that they want you if you are smart and hard worker it does not really matter if you have a little bit of accent or your hair color is dark. Of course I was very lucky to start in a very civilized state and city, not everywhere in US is as civilized and open minded as California!

Here has it’s own faults and problems too, of course no where is perfect, some thing that we as eastern people miss in western societies is the closeness we have between us (although this too much closeness is sometimes pain in the neck!!) the passion for helping each other and the care and love we have for each other, people here are more self centered they spend time for you if they feel like it and if they are free, they hardly sacrifice their own comfort for others but we Iranian mostly (of course we have self centered people too) sacrifice our own comfort and time for a friend, family or a total stranger and feel so good about it! Being emotional is a plus and at the same time barrier for us. I wish we could mix all good characteristics of all societies and create a perfect one! But life would be less challenging!! I love challenges my self!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

Ocean, congratulations with the 6 year anniversary.
I think you made the right decision.
Do you have the Iranian nationality, as well as the American?

With todays technics the world is very small and when Turkey keeps on becoming more westernized Islamic republic I think the doors to Iran might be wide open.
You said that your mom goes back to Iran (with a lot of presents), she can come and go whenever her visa (?) permits it. So the familybond will be close.
One day you'll go to Iran too for a holiday and experience you have been successful. But success has always a price.

Congrates again,
Jan from the Netherlands

9:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home