Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Election in Iran

I always listen to the Persian radio station every morning when I am on my way to work. That is a good station and especially the news part is very good. Today they were talking about presidency election in Iran, which will happen very soon I think in just couple of weeks. 1014 people took part in presidential candidate registration and “shoraye negahban” which is a little powerful organization works directly under the leader rejected all, except 6 of them!! 93 of candidates were women!! What they were thinking when they decided to register?? Any way all 6 approved candidates are from hardliners party!! That created lots of tension and finally the leader ordered the “shoraye Negahban” to approve another two from other party (Moderate party, our current president is from the moderate party)!!
These all seem like a joke to me. What kind of democracy is that?? I feel truly sorry for the people especially the young ones. Most of the young people want to immigrate but not every one has the chance to move out from that hell! Where this is really going?

I remember the year before I left Iran was presidential election for the current president (his first round). I did not want to vote but every body around me encouraged me to do so. Every one thought he could change some thing and I voted. One year passed and nothing really changed, it was about time that I decided to move out, there were personal reasons behind my immigration but the main reason was being able to live freely somewhere else rather than my own land. I could not tolerate that system at all and I know most of young people in Iran feel same way. I was lucky to be able to move to US but how many young people have that opportunity?
Here is not a perfect world but even if there is a president up there that %50 of population don’t like, at least they have hope to have their own ideal president next time. If the foreign policy is not approved by half of the population, at least every one has opportunity to live a good life. I mean it! Every one has that opportunity here! If they are some people that are not living a good life is because they have chosen not to. How much choice have people in our country? You can be the smartest but not be able to have a decent life not because you don’t want to but because the system does not want it!

I truly pray for the day that our people can vote freely and have real democracy. The feeling that I have towards my people is like a person who was in a drowning ship and could find a wood to save himself in the ocean but sees how others are drowning in that ship without any hope!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

Everything is relative Ocean, happiness, joy, the taste of freedom and the sound of democracy.

I hope Iran gets a bit more freedom.

2:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home