Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Citizenship Oath

Today I went for my citizenship oath ceremony. It was a very long line of people who had come for their oath and their family too. My husband wanted to come with me but I told him not to take off time from work and I was comfortable going alone. The line moved fast and we were all headed to a very big room. They started with national song and then every body stood up to swear. For a moment I got shiver. It was amazing that people from all over the world, they said from 81 countries were swearing together. This is the hope land for every one. You don’t see such a thing anywhere else. The interesting part was when they called name of countries and people from that country would stand up and wave their little American flag. The biggest group of people were from Mexico, Philippines and China. There were about 10 Iranians. They were people from Africa, Asia, Middle East, Australia and Europe. I would not think that much Europeans would become US citizens but there were people from Germany, Italy, England, Netherlands, Sweden and Switzerland. That’s amazing.

Any way I enjoyed the ceremony and I got my citizenship certificate. When I was leaving the center there were boots of Democrat and Republican parties that would recommend people to register to vote. I registered as a democrat. I am a liberal democrat now! I love it.
I think United States is a great country although I don’t agree with their foreign policy but it is a great country for it’s own citizens. For people like me that come from a country that people don’t have much rights and as soon as they say something against any government member or write any liberal article will end up to jail, This freedom means a lot! The other lovely part is the rights that women have in this country, when I read news or web logs and sees how much women go through for simple human rights I really get upset. I wish Iran became a free land some day soon. But no matter what I still love Iran and care about it so much.

When I got back to work from the ceremony my co-workers surprised me with an American flag hat, re, white and blue balloons and also a delicious cake that was decorated as American flag. I loved it and enjoyed it a lot. I have such nice co-workers.

This was story of my citizenship!!!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

salam
mer30 ke be ma link dadin (booooos) .manam hamin alan shoma ro link kardam .
اين مطلبي هم كه نوشتين سيو مي كنم و سر فرصت مي خونم .

2:28 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

سلام ... تو وبلاگ ويولت كامنتتونو
خوندم ... با يه حال و هواي خاصي از شمال نوشته بوديد.
منم بايد نوشته هاتو سيو كنم
سر فرصت يكي بزنم تو سر خودم و يكي تو سر ديكشنري
............
كاش فارسي مي نوشتي

3:57 PM

 
Blogger Jan said...

congratulations again, great post
So you became a lib dem at once?Looks like you made up your choice a long time ago.
You're gonna make it in your -great- country.
best wishes,
Jan

3:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

salam jiiigar vala man ke english bill miram amma soltan banoo kheili khoob mifahme be oon migam bekhoone vasam tarjome kone rassi soltan banoo indafe up karde hatman ye sar bezan ghorboonet
mamad

7:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe someday you will run for office. Wouldn't that be fun!!!! I just love the concept. I'd vote for you no matter what (I'm registered as a Republican because of Lincoln!).

I am so enjoying reading all your blogs - it's so comforting, now that you are at your new job. Please, please, please keep writing your blogs. Your review of Syriana was so perceptive and thought-provoking. Your stories of relationships with husband, son, MIL, Mom, and, yes, even your Dad (he is always there in spirit), all are so illuminating. I also love reading stories from your life when you were younger. I still delight in sharing with friends your story about playing in the snow in Teheran when you were little!

Keep on keeping on...

12:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home