Friday, November 18, 2005

Citizenship

Yesterday I went for my citizenship Interview. I passed the test and was approved to become a US citizen. Next week I should go for my oath and then I officially become an American citizen! That was a strange feeling to be actually a citizen of other country, the good point is I can still keep my Iranian citizenship. Thank god Iran accepts dual citizenship and United States too. Other wise may be I would never do it. I cannot imagine giving up my Iranian citizenship. I remember that when me and my husband were dating I told him once that there are three thing that I would never give up: My own last name, my Iranian citizenship and my religion.
He is not happy about the last name thing, it is very common here that women change their last name to their husbands after marriage but I did not do it. Although my husband really wants me to do that but besides all the hassles that some one should go through for name change every where and in all official documents I really did not want to do it, not because I don’t love him enough but because my last name is my identity like my nationality, I am born with it how can I just change it? Any way may be I sound selfish but there are things that you want to stick to until the day that you die. I have my own things!!
Any way the best part of being a US citizen is being able to travel with US passport. God knows how much hassle is to apply for visa every time we want to go to a trip with Iranian passport. But I don't mean just having the passport is important. I like to be able to vote and contribute to the society as much as I can. I think that's a great privilege to be accepted as a citizen. I appreciate it a lot!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

Hi Ocean,
congratulations with your US-citizenship. But hey, it's not the citizenship of another country anymore, it's your country too.
It means some responsibility too.

take care,
Jan

10:12 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

اوشن جونم سیتی زن شدنت رو تبریک میگم بوس بوس

5:01 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

سلام .حالت خوبه؟
چطوری؟
اومدم شما رو دعوت کنم که تشریف بیارین وبلاگ من و محمد من.اگه بیاین خوشحالمون کردین .ما اونجا خاطراتمون رو می نویسیم. امیدوارم که اگه اومدین خوشتون بیاد و امیدوارم ارتباط دو تا وبلاگ تا ابد حفظ بشه.راستی اگه دلت می خواد که ما رو لینک کنی خبرمون کن که ما هم از خجالت شما در بیایم.

با آرزوی روزای خوشگل و شاد

8:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home