Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Election!

Yesterday was the Election Day for congressmen, senate members, governors, judges, propositions, etc in US. I voted for the first time in this country. It was kind of weird to vote in another county, except where you are born in! I voted in Iran couple of times, First was when I had turned just 16 and I was eligible to vote, I took part in the election just because I felt I was a grown up now ( god, I wish I was 16 now!!!). Any way another time I voted it was around the year of Conqour (the big test to get in to university in Iran) so people believed that voting would help if they want to check your political history!!! Any way the third time was the first running time for Khatami. I really did not want to vote but every one was encouraging to vote for him. People that were in Iran at that time know how was the ambiance around his election and every one believed that he could make a difference, he won with majority of vote (20,000,000 votes) but did not really made any difference! I moved out from Iran one year after his election and I decided to never vote for that regime any more. Now I am here and I voted again, I voted for all the Democrat candidates and they were the winners in yesterday election! Most of the proposition that I voted for, passed too! The voting system and election is not really perfect here ( I believe there is not such a perfect system any where) the bad thing is that political parties spend so much money on advertising and attacking each other. They are manipulative and can easily change people mind. What actually happened when Bush ran second time for presidency to me was kind of manipulating religious people by using the name of god and using family values and etc so religious Christians mostly voted for him. I believe candidates should advertise for themselves and be open about their plans but attacking other party or manipulating people, misleads the real democracy! Any way election is competition and each party just uses all its cards to let the other party down!! The good thing in a democratic country like US is that you know if a politician makes mistakes or does not do a good job, media don’t leave him alone and bring up issues immediately, sometimes media is very cruel though but in general a free media makes politicians to be careful with their actions and decisions as much as possible! We watched the movie Man of the year over the weekend, it was a comedy and was very much politics related. Robin Williams was doing great as usual. His last comment in the movie was “Politicians are like diapers, you should change them frequently and for the same reason!!!” isn’t that true and hilarious!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Nene said...

hahaha!! I like your last sentence!!!! It is so true..I want to see this movie should be very funny!. I didn’t vote yesterday... but just like you I voted for khatami presidency the first time and the second time I was here!!!
I am so happy all those TV commercials for the election is over now they made me so mad!!!

Thanks for the wearing tips! Have a great night Ocean jan

9:35 PM

 
Blogger Natalie said...

it seems that everybody vote at 16!!

3:33 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ما اینجا یه جشن تولد داریم وشما مهمان افتخاری ما هستین. اگه ممکنه قدم رو چشم ما بذارین و در جشن ما شرکت کنین.

اگه دیر کنی کیک تموم میشه ها ;)
این صرفا یک دعوتنامه بود. نمیدونم منظورم و درست رسوندم یا نه :D

10:54 AM

 
Blogger mayra said...

I remembered to win Mr khatami
cause I voted him & I'm so happy but He coulden't do any things for me and same as me
I hate politice.........

4:20 AM

 
Blogger Jan said...

The media controls and that's to bad. As a foreigner from Holland I know they were after Clinton for quite a long time. That made the America's Government less effective I'm sure. Were the conservatives not behind Fox-networks?
Happily here in Europe it's not so bad with the media, though they have to observe and watch Politics.

Ocean stay cool.

2:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home