Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Little things here and there!

-Our Thanksgiving holiday was nice and relaxing. We were invited to my husband’s cousin for the Turkey dinner and it was fun. We have always been invited for Thanksgiving dinner so I have never cooked Turkey ! I really don’t like Turkey anyway but I like the things that come with it. The day after Thanksgiving is one of the greatest sales in US and some people go to mall for shopping as early as 5:00 am!!
I and my Mom always go together for shopping and it has become a tradition for us too. This year I had promised myself not to shop a lot and I just bought some stuff for the family kids that I usually give them Christmas presents and some few things for myself, my son and my husband!!
It was hard to come back to work after a 4.5 days holiday (we were allowed to work half day on Wednesday!!)

-We bought our real first Christmas three this year. I used to buy a little fake one and put it on the top of fire place but I decided to get a real one this year because my son is old enough to understand the concept and don’t ruin it as well. My husband said” we are not Christian, why we should buy one?” I said” I am open to all religions and their celebrations. I love Christmas and I enjoy it a lot, plus our son is born here and is growing up with kids that majority of them celebrate Christmas, I don’t want him to feel he is different or isolated from other kid’s celebrations!!” I know some people say, we should teach our kids who we are and make them understand that we are different but I don’t agree with that! When you decide to raise your kid in a country different from your original home land you should be aware that no matter what your kid will pick up his current home land culture. It is good to teach them about our culture, what I always do, but stopping him from cherishing something that majority of people cherish in this land is selfish and makes him to hate his culture at the end. I like to raise my son in a way that he will be open to all religions, beliefs and cultures. No prejudism!!
Any way my husband agreed and now he was excited himself to decorate tree with me and my son. I will try to take a picture of our tree and put it here soon!!!!

-Today is 8 years that I have moved to US. My life has changed so much in this eight years and I myself have changed in lots of ways too. I think that applies to every one who immigrates. No matter what we change not necessarily a good or bad change but we change. I know that getting older has a lot to do with our personality changes as well.
I believe where you end up living is part of our destiny. God know where we will be in 10 years or twenty years?

-We watched Borat over the weekend. It is a very funny movie that has sold alot so far! It was fuuny but at the same time very gross. we laughed a lot but I really did not like the fact that the lead actor who I think is producer too, showed people from Kasaghestan so uncivilized and made fun of them. They must be very mad at him!!

7 Comments:

Blogger Natalie said...

nice to hear u had a relaxing holiday!
Ocean jan I'm agree with u that your son should not feel there is something different and it's better to celebrate Christmas too, your idea is respectable. don't forget to put the photo here ;)
so it is 8 years! all of us change during the years, but i think you have changed more, because of being in different country. Wish you the best :)

9:26 PM

 
Blogger Nene said...

hi azizam:)
I am happy you had a relaxing weekend:) 2 more days and then it's weekend again! time flies really fast!:)
we also never had a chrismas tree in our house either my brothers and I are grown up ;) but you know i always think its fun to have one :) but my parent never liked to have a chrismas tree:( but every single year I suggested to buy one and decorate!

I didn't see this brat movie yet but I heard it's really funny! did you hear many people and organizations sue them already?

have a good night and enjoy the rest of the week:)

10:25 PM

 
Blogger mayra said...

In my openion :The life needs to change constantly.The change can be good or bad
NO problam !just changing is important point.

Have a nice celebrate christmas:)Dear ocean

12:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

سلام.
خوبی؟
خوشحالم که Thanksgiving
بهتون خوش گذشته.
همیشه به شادی و گردش باشید الهی.

در مورد کریسمس هم من باهات موافقم.از قدیم هم گفتن که همرنگ جماعت شدن بهتره.
تازه مسلمون و مسیحی و ...نداره.مهم خدائه.(مثلا الان فکر کنم من و تو هم کیش باشیم چون به همه دینها اعتقاد داریم.والبته من پیرو هیچ دین خاصی هم نیستم ها.)
:)

البته برای ما اینجا کریسمس خیلی پررنگ نیست.چون اینجا یه کشور مسلمونه.اما خب شادی و حراج اینجا هم هست.(اما نه زیاد.)به هرحال تفکرتت در مورد پسرگلت به نظرم درسته.
راستی اونجا بچه ها از چند سالگی میرن مدرسه؟اینجا بعد از اتمام سه سالگی باید برن مدرسه!!من اولش فکر میکردم شوخیه.اما بعد دیم نه خیر!!!!خیلی هم جدیه.

خوب و خوش و خوشبخت باشی عزیزم.
بوس بوس

12:35 AM

 
Blogger Jan said...

A Christmas tree isn't really a Christianity-habit. It comes from the old religions in Europe. The Roman empire spread the christian religion after 200 AD. First it was not accepted then the Romans found new ways to let the new religion be accepted by integrating it in their traditions. Trees were very important. It means fertility and that is linked to Maria's pregnancy and the birth of Jesus. He's in Islam a prophet as well.
That makes him the link between Islam and Christianity.

Ocean, I like your thoughts, you are really a supergirl! ;)

8:03 AM

 
Blogger Jan said...

Ocean,

I like your thoughts about being open.

I read your writing about a real Christmas tree.
Such a tree is not really a Christian habit. In 200 AD or so, the Roman empire spread Christianity under Saxonians and other barbarians or pagans. First they found much resistance but with taking over habits of the people they succeeded to spread the one God religion.
The tree represents fertility in the old religions and Maria's pregnancy and the birth of Jesus fitted well in concept of integration.
In Islam Jesus is also a prophet so maybe there is a link to celebrate life on earth.

Ocean have a relaxing year's end and take care.

8:21 AM

 
Blogger Jan said...

oeps, ...I thought my first post wasn't posted. I think the 2nd post is better but I forgot to mention you're a supergirl.

8:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home