Thursday, September 25, 2008

Persepolis

I and my husband both read the book “Persepolis” and we both could relate to it a lot. Especially me, because the writer is a woman just a little bit older than me and her experiences are very close to mine. Any way Marjan Satrapi that may be most of you already know has written this book originally in French and I read the one translated to English. I read number one and two but unfortunately 3 and 4 are not translated to English yet. Although I know a little bit French but I prefer to read it in English whenever is translated so I can completely understand it.
Any way my husband rented the movie that was based on the book and it was such an interesting animated movie. The movie has won some Prizes like Kan festival Prize. Watching the movie took me back to the time that I was just 5 years old and the revolution happened in Iran and then war! It is amazing that our generation saw revolution and war just back to back and we passed through it!! Some of Marjan’s experiences were very similar to mine and I am sure that is similar to lots of Iranian young people from our generation. We stayed there we survived the revolution, war, Concur, etc but some day just thought it was no place to live anymore and we had enough. I myself came to US in 1996 but did not stay at that time and thought that I could live and work in Iran but two years later I decided that I could not bear with lack of freedom, so much discrimination towards women, etc and just moved out. Whoever has immigrated abroad knows that living your own home land is not easy at all and for lots of people is the last choice. Any way the movie made me sad and I thought why all these bad things happened to our generation? How would be our life if there were no revolution and war in our country? What would be our life like if we had a real democratic regime?
Any way I am happy that my immigration did not turn out bad and I have a decent comfortable life here. Hopefully Obama goes to the office and US situation won’t get worse!! The funny thing is even now the country that I live in has war with IRAQ!!!!! Although we just feel the economic pressure not any bomb or missile but war is bad anywhere and for any reason!!!!!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man hanooz na film va ketabe perspoliso natonestam gir biaram moteasefane.
belakhare harjae khoobia va badihaye khodesho dare benazare man adam bayad bebine az zendegishchi mikhad.

4:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Ocean:

I really did not mean to offend any one who lives in Iran.
Of course everywhere has it's own good and bad things and people have different expectation and perspectives in life. Immigration is not the right choice for every body, it really depends on who you are and what are your goals in life.

1:46 PM

 
Blogger Nene said...

hi ocean joon i also read and watched the movie ,, its a real and amazing book... although I was born after the revelotion but i have some memory of war and those days,,, although my only concern was being with my cousin and playing with them all the time... but now i always think if i was older, i probably had a very hard time and it was a very scary situation, when you are a teenager and understand whats going on... i always think my older cousins and my aunts couldnt enjoy their youth as much as ther desrved it,,,and i think this book shows it clearly...
imigration is always hard i myself before my parent and my brothers moved over always thought i would go back after i finished school..its hard when you live somewhere that you are always considered as a minority group, it has its own up and down... but i love this country very much and i am so happy that i have the chance to come and live in this country,,,

obama is the man! did you register for vote?? i havent yet bayad bejombam:)

3:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you.
Immigration was not easy for me at all, but it made me grow for which I'm very thankful. I learned that there is a (good) reason if there is something on my way that is making me suffer. There is something very valuable on the other side.

On a different note, I hope Obama gets elected. Are you going to vote?

11:58 AM

 
Blogger Ahmad said...

Hi Ocean
I am happy that you
read that book and enjoy it.
I hope I willbe able to buy
a copy...

Take Care

12:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also watched the movie but I have not read its book. It was so interesting last October my teacher in German course spook about this movie in the cinema. Unfortunately I didn't have time to go and watch it because the examination time. After 3 months one of my classmate asked that Did I go to cinema and watch this movie and I answered no! he was surprised and told me, Cinema was really crowded even aisle in the cinema was full. You are right Ocean Aziz, the movie has made in french as you know here has 3 official languages one of them is french so definitely people are more interested in watching movie in french also about Iran. I would say I watched the movie on DVD which my friend copied it when he was in Iran:) I was born during the revolution but my brothers were in the revolution actually they were about 18 or 24 and some how I felt all of pains with my family like most Iranian families. When I was watching Persepolis I could feel
the fear, the war, the pains which all of them existed that time.
Now I'm here my brother is other country and that one is there this one stays here and.... That was result of revolution in Iran. At the end I would say I'm so happy I'm not in Iran especially the last time when I was in Iran I have got this result. Good luck and hope Obama wins

12:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home